Is CBD Safe for Your Pet?
Cannabidiol (CBD) has been intensely promoted by the media and consumers are buying into the hype. CBD is now added to our morning coffee, post-workout smoothies, and even given to our pets. But is CBD safe to give our pets?
Recently, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration issued warning letters to 15 companies for illegally selling products containing CBD in ways that violate the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act. In addition to this the FDA has a consumer update detailing safety concerns about CBD.
The Veterinary Medical Board and FDA have recently updated their guidelines about the potential risks of CBD. These are summarized below:
- CBD products are not regulated and there is variability in the quality, source, and safety of these products. Some contain harmful ingredients to pets including pesticides, heavy metals, and xylitol.
- Research is lacking on dosing, toxicity, and efficacy.
- Signs of toxicity may include depression, vomiting, seizures, tachycardia (fast heart rate), and anorexia.
- CBD effects the metabolism of other medications.
- CBD may cause liver injury.