Many owners are concerned about their pet’s exposure to common household disinfectants. While most of these disinfectants are considered safe when exposed to in low amounts, we encourage you to limit exposure by taking the following precautions:
- Keep pets out of the room while cleaning.
- After cleaning, make sure the area is well ventilated.
- Do not leave any cleaning products unattended with your pet.
- While cleaning, if you have wet floors or tabletops, please remove the pets from the area until these places are dry. Ideally, you would rinse floors and tabletops with water.
- Make sure, you store the disinfectants in places that your pets can not get into.
There are some dangerous chemicals that you may have in your house which include drain cleaners, concentrated dishwashing chemicals, and oven cleaners.
If you are concerned your pet has contacted or ingested a dangerous product, please call the Veterinary Referral Center of Central Oregon for guidance or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at 888-426-4435.